27 Feb 2019
Recording of the 1st conference plenary lecture is available
Prof. David Lindenmayer "Key issues associated with multiple interacting disturbances in natural forests"
19 Feb 2019
Support the Conference Resolution » fill out the form
14 Feb 2019 Conference resolution
The conference closed yesterday with the Resolution "Bia這wie瘸 Forest: Hands off and eyes on!". The Resolution urges to stop all forestry operations immediately and to protect the whole Bia這wie瘸 Forest as a National Park. Scientists also encouraged authorities to implement a conservation strategy based on science and on the protection of ecological processes and to develop a program for the sustainable development of the local communities.
Old-growth forests have a high conservation value, but they comprise less than 1% of Europe's forest area. Bia這wie瘸 Forest is the best preserved lowland old-growth that still remains in Europe. It is an invaluable place of high diversity, where natural processes have been operating for twelve thousand years. After the loggings in 2017 were ruled illegal by the Court of Justice of the European Union, Bia這wie瘸 Forest is still at risk.
The conference was attended by about 150 participants from 24 countries. It has been organised by the Society for Conservation Biology-European Section and University of Warsaw in cooperation with the Faculty of Forest Sciences of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, University of Wroc豉w and the Institute of Nature Conservation of the Polish Academy of Science. Today, part of the participants went on a 2-day field trip to Bia這wie瘸 Forest.
9 Feb 2019
The press conference at the international conference "Forests at risk: Bia這wie瘸 and beyond" will take place on Tuesday, February 12, at 10 AM in Aula C in the building of CNBCh of the University of Warsaw (detailed information will be provided at the registration desk of the conference).
5 Feb 2019
Journalists and media are kindly invited to take part in the conference, as well as in the press conference that will take place on 12th february at 10:00 at the conference venue. Conference participation is free for journalists and media. Registration can be done at the registration desk of the conference. For any questions, please contact forestsatrisk[at]gmail.com
5 Feb 2019 Housekeeping announcements
Dear Participants of the conference "Forests at risk: Bia這wie瘸 and beyond":
- The conference registration will open at 8 AM on February 12 at the conference venue: Faculty of Biology of the University of Warsaw (Miecznikowa 1, Warsaw);
- The posters should be A0 or A1 format, vertical orientation - the place to hang it will be communicated to you during the registration;
- The oral presentations will be 12 minutes + 3 minutes for questions and discussion (strict!). The preferred presentation format is MS Office PowerPoint or pdf, slide dimensions 4:3.
- The presenters of the first sessions (1A and 1B) are urged to send their presentations on the conference e-mail (directly or via wetransfer.com service) prior to the conference, on 11 February the latest. The file should be named according to the formula: the session number the name of the presenter (e.g.: 1A_Brzeczyszczykiewicz).
- The other presenters are advised to send their presentations prior to the conference as well. If not send earlier, all presentations must be uploaded at registration desk at least one session earlier.
23 Jan 2019 The Book of abstracts is uploaded » get pdf file
17 Jan 2019 The Conference Programme is uploaded » get pdf file
2 Jan 2019 Caution! The registration is closed
Dear Participants. We received several complaints about lack of information on abstract acceptance. All decisions were sent at the beginning of December. Therefore, if you still don't know the decision on your presentations/poster please contact the Secretary of the conference: forestsatrisk(at)gmail.com We are sorry for inconvenience but it seems that some servers treated our mailing as spam.
Other important informations
Conference fee (Bank account data)
Early bird fee must be paid before December 15th
Deadline for abstracts extended!
20 days to registration deadline!!!
Tab 'Białowieża Forest' is updated
Registration and Abstract submission is opened